The SBR Welfare and Families team at St John’s consists of one male and one female officer, so all members of the SBR can feel that they have someone to talk to if they need to. Upon arrival at St John’s all new students are given a graduate buddy who can help you settle in to college life and answer any questions you may have.
The welfare team organise several welfare events in and out of term, and also help with non-alcoholic social events. These include:
– weekly yoga sessions for just £1 (usually indoors in the Palmerston room, but on the backs when it’s sunny!)
– tea/coffee/snacks evenings fortnightly throughout term
– monthly movie nights in the SBR common room
– in-college Pets As Therapy days during exam term (a cuddle from a fluffy dog can be great for stress-relief!)
Other welfare provisions available from the College include many financial support options for students including childcare, disability and hardship grants. In addition the College nurse and chaplain are always available to talk to.
More information on resources available to students can be found in the Mental Health Support document compiled by the CUSU Welfare and Rights office.
We understand that somethings you would prefer to keep anonymous. Here we have two forms for college students only:
- If something that has happened, inside or outside of College, that you wish to report anonymously we have an incident report form that you can fill out – no matter how big or small you may thing it is.
- The SBR also offers free sexual health supplies to all graduate students, so you can all enjoy yourselves safely.